Skip to content

Foreign Students Studying in Korea

Qualifications and admission

Applicants should check, in advance, the qualification requirements for admission, such as the Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK), admission procedures and required documents of the university they wish to attend.

Go to Service Details
Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK)
  • International students must submit their Test of Proficiency in Korean (TOPIK) score to the National Institute for International Education to apply for admission to a university in Korea.
  • Generally, a TOPIK score of Level 3 or higher is required for admission to a college or university, and a TOPIK score of Level 4 or higher is required for graduation (for detailed information, please refer to the requirements of each individual college or university).

* For detailed information on the TOPIK, please refer to the TOPIK website (

Admission procedure

  • ① Select a university and department
    • For the spring semester (entrance in March), applications are accepted from September to November of the previous year. For the fall semester (entrance in September), applications are accepted from May to June of the same year.

      For detailed information, please refer to the Study in Korea website ( or the website of the individual university

  • ② Request for application form and preparation of required documents

    Required documents

    • Application form
    • Self-introduction and study plan
    • Letter of recommendation
    • Academic record at previous institution and proof of graduation
    • Photocopy of passport or proof of nationality
    • Proof of Korean and English ability
    • Portfolio, video clips, etc. (for arts and physical education applicants only)
    • Documents proving financial stability
      - proof of the student’s or financial guarantor’s bank balance (maintained for at least one month), domestic remittance, or currency certificate of the amount equivalent to or larger than the average annual expenses for tuition and living
      - certificate of property tax payment
      - pledge to bear study expenses, etc
  • ② Send application form and other required documents

  • ③ Acquire admission to the university

  • ④ Preparation of visa-related documents
    • Apply for a visa based on the type of courses to be attended at university in Korea
    • Student (D-2): Pursuit of a degree (bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral) or engaging in research at a college level or above
    • General Trainee (D-4) : Study in a non-degree course (language training, culture training, industrial training, etc.) or engage in research
  • ⑤ Visa application and acquisition
    • Apply through the immigration (branch) office with jurisdiction over the university
    • Apply online at the Korea Visa Portal ( (only administrators in charge of international students at each university can submit in-person application)
For detailed information on university life in Korea, visit the following website:

Study in Korea

Search Korean universities and colleges

Search for information on universities and colleges in Korea.


Study in Korea Education Fair

The Study in Korea Education Fair, held in 219 cities in 38 countries, introduces universities and colleges in Korea with the aim of attracting international students of a high academic caliber.
Click to view detailed information on the Education Fair, such as scheduled events, etc.

See more